Saturday, October 09, 2004

Never a dull moment...

One thing about Seoul is you never know what will happen. I had a meeting near Namdaemoon on Friday and did my usual Bus 263 to the Namdaemoon Subway station then a quick hop to Seoul Station to my meeting place. I like this route because I can do a little shopping on the way (more on that later).

As luck would have it, as I was returning from my meeting I just missed a train and was greeted by this on the platform: about 10-20 protesters in wheelchairs chained together and slowly entering the subway cars and parading down their length; and about 100-150 riot police, just in case one of them paraplegics tries something, I guess. This is the scene as it unfolded for me.


Something going on here...


Lots of police...some guys in wheelchairs too...looks like they're chained together...


Yup, there they go...right through the train..


More of the chain-gang...


Of course you can never have too many riot police.

I ended up walking to Namdaemoon instead...they shut down the whole of Line 4 with their antics. While there I got a few undershirts (usually 3,300 won each, but I get 4 for 10,000 won--about 9USD), plus a couple of spiffy dress shirts. The shirts were a lovely blue and a windowpane on while...very British in appearance and a steal at 13,000 won (11USD) for both. I would have bought more, but there aren't many in my size. And on that, I take a 17.5/18 neck here and a 16/16.5 in Canada; also a 38 pant here and a 34/35 in Canada (maybe smaller). Seems an inch is not exactly an inch here--keep that in mind if you buy clothes here: ALWAYS try them on until you know your size in all articles.

I've actually been on a bit of a binge lately. It's amazing how much money you can have when you don't get tanked every night. Got myself 4 other dress shirts, 3 casual ones (just like Polo twills, no less), two pair of dress pants and about 5-6 ties in the last few weeks. Total bill: about 125,000 won (110USD).

Back to protests: here's another one starting up today...they got the Korean drum band out there making noise as they tune up the microphones. Should be a good one...too bad I'll miss it (ya, right).


Get ready for another protest!

Then there's the smog. Looks like we've got some inversion again cuz I could hardly see the 63 Building from Mapo Bridge.


Smoggy 63 Building

And what batch of photos would be complete without someone sleeping on the street or subway. Here's the latest, the guy dressed like me!! What's he doing here? Questions that will be left unanswered unless he reads my blog and posts the answer in the comments.


Funny, he doesn't look homeless or drunk.