Friday, February 25, 2005

One gone...49 to go.

Already got an email to get a gmail account. At first we got 5-10 of these invites at a time and now it looks as though I have 50 of them. I like gmail and in Korea used it for work a lot (much to the chagrin of my CEO, but the company email had so much spam in it it just made no sense) as the archive and search functions are great.

Wednesday was busy: took Winston to Children's Hospital to get some dental surgery done. I took him into the O.R. (as my wife is a little squeamish at that stuff). They did an I.V. for the local and it was kinda hilarious. I saw them inject it and the nurse said it would take effect quickly. (Winston didn't cry at all before or after it!) Next thing I know his eyes roll back and he's out...in about 3 seconds. Ah, ya, that was quick.

Last night I drove my father-in-law to a golf shop in Richmond (about 45 minutes drive); Spencer came too. He called ahead to get a club set aside for him to exchange for but when we got there a salesguy said he had none of that size/type. My father-in-law used Korean logic and was basically asking him to look again and pull it out of thin air. He even said, "How can I believe you?" which is a normal Korean thing...the guy was, like, "Um...I'm not lying to you. If I had it I'd give it to you." Culture thing. Every Korean I know uses a line like this. In Korea it works because the salesguy HATES to have his honesty questioned so will move mountains to get the thing for him, usually. But for this poor CBC (Canadian-Born Chinese) guy it sounded very odd, indeed. They went off to search the store and Spencer practiced his putting on the practice green (well, astroturf). Maybe it's time for a set of junior clubs for him...his birthday is coming up soon.

Things are coming along at work...got a few things in the works (some from the brokers and some from my own friends and contacts) so I'm pretty optimistic at the start. It's bloody amazing, I think, to see how positive everyone is toward what I do. It's estate and tax planning but in essence there is a lot of insurance in it. I think part of it is my experience (12 years) and background as a broker that makes things a little easier. I couldn't imagine a pure insurance guy in the office...just a different way of thinking--and vocabulary--than in insurance.

On that...time to get to work.