Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Learning Korean and Jeon Ji Hyun

Ah, the Korean language...it looks so difficult at first, then as you figure out how to read Hanguel (Korea's surprisingly easy-to-learn alphabet of 24 characters) it seems so easy. Then the vocabulary starts. Oh no. Then the backwards (to us) sentence structure. Yikes! Luckily there are many options for us slow-witted foreigners to take on the language. Of course I could list them here but this JoongAng article says a lot and there are more resources here.

Well, if you're a guy here is some motivation for you: Jeon Ji Hyun (전지현), the latest 20-something (24, actually) star of movies and CFs (I hear this means Commercial Feature, but not positive). I saw her latest movie on Sunday night. It's hard to describe the name...the English version is "Windstruck" but the Korean version is 여친소 (yeochinso) which is short for 내여자친구를소개합니다 (ne yeojachingu rul sogayhamnida) or "I'd like to introduce you to my girlfriend". Surprisingly, both titles make sense. If you like, there is a website (Korean and English, looks quite good, actually) here. The movie is shown in theatres with subtitles at special times, that info is here. For a list of many of the theatres in Seoul click.... here!


Here is a great reason to learn Korean...if I wasn't already married, that is.

I went with a few foreigners as well as a local/Korean/National...of course the Korean HAD to take a picture...so I HAVE to put it up here.


Here we are after the movie...and before the hof/bar.


Update:
A bud of mine passed this link on to me. It's 전지현 in a Giordano ad. Apparently it was NOT aired in Korea (nothing XXX about it, it's all about sensibilities of some sort).