Thursday, July 22, 2004

Free drinks for wearing a bikini?!?

Korea is, as you may have guessed, a hyper-competitive place. Once a store, restaurant or whatever they always make a big deal of it. One of the best ways they have to get attention is dancing girls. Ya, you heard right. Girls in cheerleader-like outfits dancing up a storm to hiphop in front of a balloon arc and inflated animals of some sort. It's really quite a sight. When my cousin visited here last year we saw 2 or 3 of these things...his 20-year-old brain was probably about to overload. This display I saw in Namdaemoon as I did some light shopping (actually I needed more hankies as mine was soppign wet from the heat & humidity here these days). Have no idea what this store is, but I was sure tempted to take a look. (Guess the marketing works.)


Welcome to the Grand Opening of...um...I forget...where am I anyways?

Then we have Bricx, a little place I've walked past but didn't see a reason to enter...maybe now, however.


I'm not one for anime usually, but this one...

It took me a while to read it correctly. Usually they say things like 'free drinks (upon paying cover of 20,000 won)' or something. I know Ohoo/Hodge Podge has free drinks for ladies on Thursdays from 10-midnight, but this one is a little more interesting. All gals in bikini tops get free drinks at Bricx on that night...hmmmm. I wonder what they'd do if I showed up in my bro/manzeer.

Finally, take a look at Seoul Pub's video on 'Picking up in Seoul' on Seoul Scene's website. It's pretty corny...but mostly funny. The Aussie in the rugby jersey is a regular there (I mean like every night, which is probably why he's featured so prominently).  They've got another one called Bondaegi Challenge in which unsuspecting passer-bys are asked to eat....ready for this?...steamed silkworm larvae. It's actually quite well liked here.

UPDATE: I didn't make it to the Bikini Party, but here are some pics taken at it: here and here.