Tuesday, July 27, 2004

Those crazy Swiss and those wired Koreans

I'd like to thank my bud Peter in Vancouver for the picture below. It shows me that it's not just Koreans that are into voyeurism (although the Swiss version has one-way glass so people can't see in, and the Korean versions have none such discretion, it seems).


Is it me? Or does she look like Martha Stewart? And doesn't that look like a prison cell loo?

I was out last night on a 회식 (hwi-shik), which basically means a bender with guys from the office. We went to my favorite local haunt, Outsider. It's called a 'playing bar' in English but in Korean they call it a 양주이밴트바 (yang-joo ee-ben-t-ba, whiskey event bar). Basically, it's not a room salon but it's nicer than a regular hof (or local Korean pub). There are girls pouring the drinks but they are ALWAYS on their side of the bar (which is just fine by me).

Of course that wasn't all that we did. We had 삼겹살 (3-layer fat pork, much like backbacon) first and went to WA Bar (when you say the name it sounds like the Korean for 'come here', very apt methinks) afterward. Man, I love living in Yeouido...at least I can get home within 50 steps instead of taking a bus or cab for 20-60 minutes to get home. Sometimes I think I'm a little spoiled here...but then I remember the pollution, long hours and compulsory drinking and I figure it about evens out.


Um, where's his other hand!??!

So, anyways, this morning I got out of bed at about 4am to do laundry (wild and crazy guy that I am). I was still drunk, obviously, and ended up not checking my shirt pocket for the namecard (that's what they call business cards here) of the new guy (the one on the left in the pic; the middle guy, Yoon, is our new recruit and the guy on the left is Jo-last name-by the way, I think Jo should have the English name of Danny or Daniel, what do you think?). So, it got washed...damn. Well, at least I know what he looks like. Him, Yoon and I are all born in the same year, but I am a few months older, so we can be friends. It's odd here, even a year or so difference and you're considered on a different plane in some respects. Jo is our junior...so we have to take care of him/get him plastered. The nice thing about being a little older is I can pull rank and make everyone drink. hahahaha! But as a 외국인 (way-gook-in, foreigner) I can also claim to be untouchable (in the good sense) if I don't want to do something. hahahaha! (But I usually do it because it's not a good idea to play the race card too much here.)

I had to get myself some coffee this morning, but felt cheap (as usual) as there is wonderful Maxim Mocha Gold sticks in the office. I'm sure these things are killing me slowly, but they're just sooo convenient! Also heard that Starbucks just opened their 100th store in Korea (in Itaewon, actually). Yesterday was it's 5th anniversary in Korea...and I remember when I first came here (about 5 years ago, actually) they were just starting. In typical Korean fashion they caught on like wild-fire (foreign, expensive, addictive...what's not to love?)

One last thing. Koreans have a special numbering system for counting things, but they can't do the same in English, it seems. They seem to think that 'th' comes after every number. My namecards say that we are on the 2th floor...well, we're not, the 치과 (chi-gwa, dentist) is on the first floor. Then today on T.V. I saw an electronic device that was labeled '2rd cable port'...at least they were trying on that one.