Monday, October 11, 2004

Graffiti, Playboys, Street Sandwiches and Bi-ta 500

Let's start out with the shock factor. Below is the ONLY piece of English-language graffiti I think I've ever seen in Korea. Sure, I've seen a couple of Hanguel-tags and some where kids have written their names with magic markers on a wall or something (but even these are very rare), but this one stands out. I saw it in the 지하보도/jihabodo (underground sidewalk) near Daebang Subway Station (Line 1). Fascinating...and look at that script...


Wow, Korean graffiti in English!

Last night I took a trip to Sinchon to meet a bud...and saw this ad. It says: 제비표페인트/jay-bi-pyo-paint. Jebi can mean many things, though, such as swallow (the bird...man, how can you think that?): Swallow Paint? Or, if it's 제비꽃/jay-bi-ggot (like goat) then it's a violet (flower = 꽃): Violet Paint? Or, my favorite, 제비 can also mean playboy (or playgirl: 여자제비/yeoja-jaybi): Playboy Paint? Wonder which one it is. (And, ya, it's also my initials...so you think I'm a bird or flower??)


JB??

After working out (buff guy that I am) I saw my old friend working (on) the street for his restaurant. This guy owns Wingswing in Yeouido...it's a great place for western food around here. He and his wife are fluent in English and they lived in New York and Atlanta before coming back to Korea. I had a Philly Cheese Sandwich as a decadent end to my day and workout. Mmmmmmm.


You want a Philly Cheese Sandwich?

Of course you can't be decadent all the time. Everyday for the last while I've been taking these things: 비타/bi-ta 500. They also come as 비타 800 and 비타 1000 (in typical Korean one-up-manship style). It says it has the vitamins of 20 lemons, 60 apples and 15 oranges in it (or maybe it's 'or', not sure). Anyways, I don't get enough fruit over here so maybe this will stave off scurvy.


Mmmmm...Bita oh-baek!