Thursday, December 23, 2004

Back in Downtown Vancouver

It's been a long time, but I'm finally back in Downtown Van. to meet a couple of buds for coffee and lunch. Not posted much in the last while as been busy with the kids and stuff, but wanted to tell you that it has, indeed, stopped raining here for the last couple of days. Today is a real beaut...reminds me of being in Yeouido in the Fall (that's the best time of the year to be in Seoul, in case you didn't know). Ya, like Yeouido except everything is in English (well, almost, lots of Hanguel, Chinese and Vietnamese signs), there is NO smog and no traffic to speak of (almost Christmas so not near as many commuters on the roads).

So, how can I post this? I have no idea where PC-bangs (as they're called in Korea, internet cafes here....God how I hate the name 'internet cafe'...sounds like I'm some espresso-drinking beatnik) are in Vancouver. In Myoung-dong I could ask any teenager where one is (one of the Korean phrases I mastered) but here I had to go to the Four Seasons Hotel and ask the concierge. Now in London Drugs, and it should be CAD5.99 an hour (a far cry from the 1,000 won/CAD1.10 I pay in Korea!) but no idea how you pay and the thing is already on so I guess it's a freebie. They also have PCs at Kinko's, but they are like $18 an hour(!!!). Unreal. Note to self: start PC-bang business in downtown and make a million$.

Man, it is so nice down here...clean, less traffic..but I miss the hustle-and-bustle of Seoul and my celebrity status (although wearing a suit in Vancouver sometimes makes you really stick out here...it's a little on the casual side). Hmmmm....what if we lived downtown and I worked down here and I/the family could take a trip or two a year to Seoul for shopping/visiting. Sounds pretty good. I'm still looking for positions in London, New York and Europe but who knows?

Next time I'll bring my camera and take some pics for the blog. As it stands I have a few to upload from yesterday at Port Moody (near our place) with the kids. I should also make some VT tips for Vancouver...I don't think I could break 200 tips in a year as I did with Seoul, but I do know this city pretty well.

Ok, got to go to this meeting...more later. If you don't read more before Christmas let me say 'best of the season' to you before it's over for another year.