Sunday, August 01, 2004

Movies, movies all the time.

There are a few ways to beat the heat here in Seoul. One is to simply stay at work, but with the government-imposed 5-day work-week coming into effect (and since I can't really figure out why I'd work 7 days a week) that isn't a very viable option. You could go to the beach, but it tends to get a little crowded (as this story attests). Or, you can go see movies. If you do, though, as I noted in a past blog, get ready for some comedy--and I mean before the movie starts. One of my favorite theatres is the brand-new Fantaseum in Daehangro. The staff there have some pretty wild costumes. There is a Chipper's restaurant on the top 2 floors too (where apparently the food isn't so hot, but there's a magic show to extertain the kids). The Chipper's staff (even the guys) have aprons and lace collars on their uniforms, and the female theatre staff have, get this, wings. Ya, they're dressed as angels. See pics.


Angels complete with wings and Squid...the whole squid

They also all have this cute (well, hilarious is more appropriate) little salute they do when they greet you and say good-bye. They put their left hand on their hip, their right hand up (as if they're swearing on a bible) and touch their fingertips together while at the same time bending their knees. All this they do with a smile on their face. (If you don't get my description, think of a gay Nazi doing a Heil Hitler and you'll be pretty close.) Man, the things people do for part-time work.

Oh ya, the squid is there for general interest. It's restaurant display. I've seen dishes with hacked-up squid in it, but not one with (what looks like at least) a whole squid on the plate. Interesting.

Anyhoo, this weekend I saw 3 movies...one Korean and two Western ones (not spaghetti Westerns, just non-Korean/foreign). The Korean one was (형님들의 도시)목포는항구다 (Hyung-nim-deul-ui do-shi mok-po-neun-hang-goo-da, or Mok-po: Gangster's Paradise). It was a pretty entertaining film, although some Korean humor I'm still trying to figure out. It goes from serious to amusing to gross in like 3 frames. One scene is with these 3 minor gangsters who are so poor they have to eat dogfood, but it gives them the runs and later (when you least expect it) a serious scene cuts to them running into a single-stall public loo. Well, the senior guy goes in and prepares to blast-off (so to speak) but the seatcover falls and he lets loose on it instead of into the bowl. They show you the mess oozing from between the cover and his legs and even outside the stall where it envelopes the (bare, for some reason) foot of his junior. My God, is there anything more repugnant? These guys were kind of a show-stealer (or a party-pooper, depending on your viewpoint).


Mokpo, Gangster's Paradise; King Arthur; I, Robot

King Arthur was...ok. Lots of action and killing and Braveheart-like speeches, but I can only give it a 3 or 3.5 out of 5. If you've seen Lord of the Rings this one will seem kinda washed out.

I did, however, find that one of the characters, Bors, to be much like my bud from Manchester, Alex. He also resembled Alex's business partner, Mark, but I met Alex first so he gets top billing. Reading about the actor, Ray Winstone, I learned that the character was much like the actor and both were like Alex. Life imitating art imitating life?


Alex Bors and Mark...which is which?

I, Robot was pretty cool. I think I may have read part of the book way back in high school (geek that I was/am). The movie had a TON of special effects in it, but (seeing as it was in the future) they all made sense. Things, for some reason, didn't seem over the top, but that may be because I've been desensitized by now. I, Robot gets a 4 out of 5...or, for those out there who are not into sci-fi, a 3 out of 5....hey, Will Smith is in it! Oh, and the naked butt scenes are equal opportunity: one of Will (but I closed my eyes for that one), one of the girl (but I told my wife I closed my eyes for that one).

Well, that's it...a pretty boring weekend, for once. Actually got all the sleep I needed for once. I'm sure I won't make that mistake again for a long time.