Sunday, August 15, 2004

Still (Sulking) in Seoul

Remember how I said I was on my way to Canada to see my family? Ya, I was supposed to leave on Saturday night, 6PM. Well, it seems I'm needed here to complete this deal (oh the joys of investment banking). You know, I read about this in Monkey Business and other personal business expereince books, but I didn't think it'd happen to me. Heck, I'm a foreigner! How can the rules apply to me? But, as I know, being unique has its drawbacks as no one in the firm can do what I do...teh good news is: they can't live without me; the bad news is: they can't live without me. It seems they need me here for some documentation (um, I can't sign anything here...and everything I do is in English and either over the phone or by email) and possibly for presentations (but those are all in Korean and we have excellent internal and local partner staff to handle all aspects of those) so, really, there's no need for me to physically be anywhere.

Anyways, as it happens, all I've done today is email-related things and even that has been pretty sparce...things I could have easily done anywhere in the world (or even from Mars, for that matter). Now I know what it feels like to be Grey Davis and get recalled...but I didn't even get a stint on the talkshows to gab about it.

This is my only gripe session about this topic...tune in later for more insightful observations about Korea. I guess it could be worse...sounds like this guy had a tough time in Guam.