Monday, August 09, 2004

Yusheng's Coming to Seoul!

Ah, finally...someone else I know is coming here from Canada for a visit. First was my cousin, Lars in May of 2003. He came at the perfect time. Weather was getting warm, but not unbearably hot and Children's Day and Buddha's Birthday were celebrated (day off) during his time here too. That was cool. Here are some pics from his visit. We did almost everything you could as a tourist for a short visit (but light on the bar scene as I was not as educated as I am now on it...and he was so young and impressionable at the time).



Welcome to Korea...you must have SARS; Seoul City Hall traffic square; Myoungdong on the weekend; kids and wooden swords @ Korean Heritage Museum; us at the Korean Folk Village; on the bus heading to Incheon Airport.

He had a fever (from a normal cold) a few days before he got here, so that and the general lack on English language ability by almost everyone here lead him to be delayed getting out of the airport by over an hour. Next time I'll give my visitors a little note in Korean to show the airport staff saying: "I'm a top gamer from _______ please make sure I don't miss my tournament and speed me through customs quickly." or some such thing--Koreans love their online games here; they even have a TV station dedicated to it.

Lars had this to report about Korea (and he's flown about 1,000,000 miles thus far): it's similar to Europe, but just LOTS more people.

The second person was a guy I met through a teacher in Pusan/Busan I know through a friend of mine in Nanaimo (my old roommate, actually; funny how things seem to dovetail as we get on in years). Anyways, her sister's bud is getting married to a gal in Taegu/Daegu and wanted some pointers on how to not screw-up in front of the in-laws-to-be. He was here for a week or so and in Seoul for a couple of days...but I think we crammed a week of drinking into one night.

Yusheng should have a good time here and should be here sometime in the fall, date to be determined. The guy's some kinda world traveler and he takes some pretty cool pic of architecture wherever he goes. I've noticed that many of them are devoid of human presence...something he'd be challenged to do in Seoul. There's always people around you here no matter the time or place. If you want to see some cool shots of my other hometown, Vancouver, take a look here.

Ok, time to get my pubmaps out and plan Yusheng's course.