Wednesday, September 15, 2004

Work, work out and housework...

The last week or so has been pretty different from before on many fronts:

Work: well, I'm always working, but now our firm has a new database supplier for researching hedge funds, which means I have a lot of fun things to do all day like search with various parameters, print off detailed statistical analyses, contact new companies and get information on their funds (not as easy as it sounds, as some of them require an introduction and/or credentials just to get their background info) and follow up on my checklist of about 20 things I need to do before investing in a fund. Whew! Before we had quite a few funds to do this for, now there are hundreds, so looks like I'll be reading about 300-500 pages a day of corporate presentations, due diligence questionnaires, fund overview, offering documents and subscription forms. Asleep yet?

On that: here's a pic of my junior, 최씨/choi-ssi (which is normally written Mr. Choi for us foreigners, but his name is correctly pronounced 'chay').


Here is the camera-shy Mr. Choi as I normally see him.

Work out: I try to keep in shape (round is a shape too!) but now I'm really on the kick. Basically everyday now. If not at 6AM then at 6PM. Yesterday was shoulders (6 exercises, 3 reps), tomorrow is pecs, then tri, then bi (ceps, that is), then back, then legs...plus some abs and cardio in there everytime. Wish I had a bud to go to the gym with, like in '98 when my Carlo and I did a lot of pumpin' up, but I guess this way I don't have to schedule anything either...and I have some motivation to go as well...well, maybe it's the pos/neg motivation from my wife...and everyone else, for that matter. Koreans just don't like chubby people. They figure that larger men are more prone to health problems, so they try to dissuade their daughters from marrying one; and, as for pudgy girls here: forget about it--thin is definitely in.

Housework: ok, so things still pile up from time to time, but I'm getting my ironing done a lot more regularly now. It's amazing how not waking up with a hangover can give you more time to do such exciting things as cleaning your bathroom and doing the dishes. Also taking advantage of living within 5 minutes (door-to-door) of the office and doing laundry during the day. I put a load in in the morning, hang it at lunch (or before, it's such a short walk) and take it down at night...eat you heart out commuters!

With all of this early-to-be-early-to-rise stuff nose-to-the-grindstone Koreans are now calling me a 잠꾸러기/jam-ggoo-roe-gi...sleepyhead. What? For getting 6-8 hours? Ya, I guess that is pretty weird here.

Ok, now that I've lulled you into a blog-induced stupor, you will now go to the Blogarithm link to the right and enter your email address so you can get a dose of this everyday.

Oh, and something is up with my code on this site, I think. I'm starting to see the sidebar to the right shift down below the body/content....if anyone knows why and how to fix it I'd be very grateful. All I did lately was change the link-to page for Shawn's book...so no idea why it's so wonky. Thanks.