Monday, October 11, 2004

Shopping and Banks

Just back from lunch and wanted to jot this down.

There's a gal in Yeouido I normally buy ties from. Not expensive ones, she sells them on the street at lunch for 5,000 won (4.50USD) for poly, 10,000 for silk (I get them for 4,000/8,000 though). Don't get me wrong, they are nice ties...I'd say on par with the ones I paid over $100 for in Canada (and I worked 3 years in men's wear so maybe I have an idea of what is what).

Anyhoo, another tie seller is in the neighborhood now so I checked out his wares. Starting price: 5,000 for silk, 3,000 for poly! And some of them are exactly the same brands and styles. Holy crap! (Ok, it's just a couple of bucks, but the magnitude is terrific.) I picked out 2 poly ones and he said 6,000 for both. I said I was buying two; he insisted; I reiterated, h knocked it down to 5,000; done. (I do all my negotiating in Korean, too, which likely helps.

Just goes to show you no matter how good you may have it someone is always ready to undercut you here.

And, a small note, it doesn't take a PIN (personal ID number) to put cash INTO the bank machines here. I remember you always had to enter a PIN in Canada for any transaction; but here as long as you're only depositing then just the card will do. Interesting.