Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Same-old: ice cream, doctor visit and The Outsider.

I know everyone missed my posting yesterday, but I had a good reason (two actually): (i) had to go to the doctor again for this foot of mine (reported below) and (ii) got updated stats from CSFB/Tremont's Hedge Index to upload, analyze and make a presentation with commentary on (all in one day).

On to ice cream...my junior Jo bought this one Monday night. Man, it is rich! cappuccino coffee and chocolate in a waffle-like (note: waffle-like) wrapper. Not bad, but could only eat half.


The Big Waffle: cappuccino ice cream in (good tasting) styrofoam.

Tuesday night I bedded down at about 9:30 and woke up at 4AM. Couldn't get back to sleep so I went to the office and passed this row of (about 30) buses waiting for the throngs of early-risers (or maybe late-prayers because they actually extinguished the neon cross when it was over) at the Yeouido Full Gospel Church across the road. (My office is on 'Gospel Road'...haha.)


5AM church buses...for the really, really dedicated.

I went back home at about 8AM to nap but was awakened by my CEO calling at about 9:15. "James where are you?" "At home for a bit, I was there at 5AM--coming back soon." "James, it is 9AM! Time to work!" "Yes, I know, I will be there in 5 or 10 minutes." "James, you should be here!" "Yes I am coming." And so on...sometimes I wonder about this line of thinking. If I am there at 5AM to do work but somehow am not there at 9AM is there a problem? Maybe.

I got a reprieve from the salt-mine (joke, joke) when my father-in-law picked me up for my doctor's visit. Oh...my...God..when I entered the office it was just like The Outsider. One of the nurses (the darling who gave me my shot in the butt last time) said, "하이 제임스/Hi James!" The reception desk is even curved like The Outsider bar...too much. No X-rays this time...but the doc sent me to the second floor for some physio/torture.


My lovely physio-therapist (probably Ms. Kim, statistically-speaking).

First, a HOT pack on my foot. No one seemed to be able to remember where my pain was; many thought it was my ankle, but it's on the top of my foot...so much for complete medical records.


Here is my foot in a HOT pack. Yeow!

I saw this contraption in the room as well. I saw something like it in The President's Barber where a boy was tortured with electro-shock by a dude in the Park Chung Hee administration (he was a dictator). The boy lost his ability to walk...could it happen to me?


The shock machine...I pity the patient that has that done on them...


...Holy crap! It's me! Aaaaaaarrrrrgggggghhhhh!

The nurse said most people's toes/fingers wiggle when the 'therapy' was applied, but mine didn't. Must be because I am a foreigner, I said. They accepted that as plausible (hello! I'm human too...haha). The bloody thing hurt (no surprise there) and I wondered if they do this sort of thing in the West also.


My father-in-law looks on as the electrodes are clamped on.

Next some sort of vibro-shock thingy. At least it didn't hurt.


Now for some sort of massage...the jelly reminds me of when my wife had ultrasounds to see our boys in the womb.


Here she I going at it...and there goes my chances at being a 'foot model'.

Coming back I realized how screwed the roads can be in Seoul. Usually I take a subway or taxi, but my father-in-law wasn't up on Yeouido one-way streets and a 5-minute trip was extended a good 10 minutes.


And returning to Yeouido...what better symbol of this area than 2 new twin towers being built?

Last night it was back to (you guessed it) The Outsider with Jo and Peter. We polished off my bottle of Prince whiskey (a local blend, suitable for mixing with beer, unlike Macallan).


Peter shows just how low my ceiling really is.

After that we came back to my place for some Crown Royal and then parted company. Of course as soon as I hit the hay 이동준/Dong-Joon Lee (or D.J. as he likes) gave me a call to meet him back at the bar (he lives in the same building). He was sad about something (will let you know that tomorrow) and we had badgered him to come out so I returned and ended the night (again) at a respectable midnight.


My bud Dong-Joon gives the thumbs-up for another round of drinks at The Outsider.

Tune in tomorrow for the exciting news!