Friday, December 24, 2004

Island of Fantasy Review

Finally finished Shawn's book this morning. I bought it a week or so before I left Korea and got through about half and then traveling and kids took my attention from it; also, I felt a little gyped (ripped off) because I had read about 75% (or more) of it fro free on the Internet a while back and fumed that I paid USD10 for the same stuff (albeit without as many errors in it). Well, upon finishing it I think it seems more like my story than I'd like to admit. Do all foreigners go through the same thing? Very insightful. If you've never been to Korea, are looking to work here or have a friend who is/has it might be a good read and help you see how things...um...work here (work is a bit of a misnomer, though as things (i) don't really fit and (ii) most work here is not really work in the sense that we have 'back home').

Now I got to thinking that perhaps I should do a little bitty on my times in Korea. Wanted to write one about my stockbrokering days at RBC Dominion Securities or my times with a group of Korean flogging financial products in Vancouver, but those days seem so long ago I don't think I could come up with many interesting situations...but I could add them as backdrop to a Korean story...hmmmmmm. Of course, it would be a labor of love and I'd have to fiction some things to protect the stupid (me) but it could be good.

I'll have to think about this more. Writing a book might take a couple months or so and I'd want to do it all in one go and then come back to it later to edit...thinking...