Wednesday, June 23, 2004

The Unreal Tiredness of Raising Kids

When I was in Seoul these last few months I thought my wife had it kinda easy here with 'just' our 2 kids to take care of. Now I know that this parenting thing is pretty tough. The worst thing is they 'tag team' us. For example, one stays up til 3:30AM, the other wakes up at 7AM. One has a nap, and the other gets hungry. And my wife isn't into lots of crap food for them, too...so she is constantly cooking and preparing wonderful delicacies like 'rice brocolli cheese tofu cakes' and 'seaweed and beef soup'--sounds great, eh?! Well, the kids like it and I guess it's good for them.

When I go back to Seoul I know I'll miss these days (and nights) and start my old routine of 6PM rollerblading and going out to the bars on the weekends (maybe even during the week a bit, as my CFA test is finished for a few months). I know the days will be a little less full without my 3-year old jumping (from the couch) onto my stomache/back/gonads...ah, how can I survive? We will have the webcam and daily phonecalls to make things a bit easier, but it won't be the same.

Ug, so tired now...it's past 11PM and I know tomorrow will be busy...and the next day too. My bud of almost 25 years is coming to visit and I'll make the trip to the ferry terminal to pick him up and the new place is now inconveniently 60 minutes from the docks compared to 30 minutes for our old place. No matter, I imagine I'll relish the time alone on a simple car trip.