Wednesday, August 18, 2004

Hilarity Online and is my Blog Finnished?

Everyday I take a read of the English language versions of the local papers like JoongAhn Ilbo, Digital Chosun Ilbo, Korea Herald and Korea Times to get a local view of the news (or, sometimes, a translated view of foreign news). Sometimes I take a look at Google News (I find it to be pretty good) and Bloomberg News for financial stuff or Institutional Investor for investment news (I have a subscription so all the stories are available). It's interesting to find a story from outside Korea about something happening here (especially if I know the real story) or to find one about a foreign story that the local press has applied their spin. Another blog, the Rathbone Press does a pretty good job of disecting the headlines and Joel's Blog is quite good to, as he is pretty fluent in Korean giving him a bit more insight--although lately he's been talking more about 고추/gochoo and basketball than anything else.

I also take a look at the online bulletin boards such as Korea Herald, English Spectrum and Youloveit (neat name). These boards have a line on things like Korean culture, the local bar scene (which is, bascially, just more Korean culture), things for sale and some pretty hilarious postings of people looking for love or jobs or whatever.

Here are some recent postings that cracked me up:

Is there anyone who has baby in Nowon? 김정은 2004-08-18

hi

i'd like to build good friendship with who has baby as Mom.
i live nearby Nowon area and expect baby soon also i'm fluent english speaker.
if u have interest, send me a mail,plz.
[email was here]

Ok, you're fluent, eh? I guess there's fluency and there's online fluency.

LOOKING FOR AGENTS WHO CAN SEARCHING JOB FOR ILEGAL WORKER.

Dear,
Sir/Madam.

I am bangladeshi ,30 male.looking for job as a Manuf:industry,factory,Hotel,Restaurant etc:
I have 8 year's working experience in abroad.I can speak above 6
languages.
My Education level is Higher secoandary level.

Plz:Contract by e-mail:[email was here]
H/P:[phone number was here].
Thank's.
[his actual name was here!].
Suwon city.

So, let me get this straight....you're an illegal worker so you're posting your name, city, email and phone number on the internet? That's so crazy it just might work!

Here's a doosey:

Lonely [her name], trade korean for english with benefit 2004-07-15

Hi this is [her name]. I am very lonely in Korea. I am from Italy. I need a man. Acutally any man. My preference is for fat guys. But it does not really matter what they look like. Just as long as they are big where it counts. This is not a joke. I am very lonely and I did not know what else to do. I have a talented tongue and I am sure I can please you. I have a big chest and I love to get it on. What have you got to lose. Call me [her name] at [her number].

I work late so it is better to call me after 11 or early morning around 5 am.

For the night of your life... call me. I also enjoy the company of woman.. so ladies who like ladies call to. Let's rock. Can you rock my world?

Man, so not only is she lonely, but she's into chubby guys...or any man or woman will do...and she even puts her number on the posting. Wonder who/how many responded.

There was even one that provided a link to her X-rated pictures...complete with an address! Either these gals are (i) fearless, (ii) desperate or (iii) stupid.

For something more sombre take a look at this blog posting by a Korean who can't be here to support his good friend (thanks for the link from BigHominid--careful, parts of this blog are pretty racey).

Now for the question of the day: Why are so many Finns reading my blog? Take a look at the stats:

Top 30 Domains (Unique) - Comment
(.net) Networks (151) - These two make sense, the U.S. is a...
(.com) Companies (144) big place and has lots of traffic.
(.fi) Finland (56) - Huh? No idea about this one.
(.mil) US Armed Forces (37) - Ok, I know a few people on base.
(.ca) Canada (17) - Yay! Someone from home is reading!
(.sg) Singapore (14) - These ones are all Pacific Rim so some connection
(.jp) Japan (7) - These ones are all Pacific Rim so some connection
(.au) Australia (4) - These ones are all Pacific Rim so some connection
(.ph) Philippines (3) - These ones are all Pacific Rim so some connection
(.uk) United Kingdom (3) - Lots of Brits here.
(.nl) Netherlands (2) - Know 2 guys in The Netherlands
(.at) Austria (2) - Maybe Arnie's dad is reading it
(.th) Thailand (2) - Pac Rim
(.edu) US Edu. Inst. (2) - Even schools? I feel so scholastic.
(.nz) New Zealand (1) - Pac Rim
(.za) South Africa (1) - Nelson Mandela? Nah!
(.de) Germany (1) - Ah, the land of (most of) my roots.

Ok, that's enough for now.