Friday, November 26, 2004

Life in the 'Big City'

It kinda cracks me up when my Mom describes Coquitlam (part of Vancouver) as a big city. C'mon! Sure there are quite a few more people living here than 'sleepy hollow' (as I call where they live; actually they live in farmland outside of sleepy hollow!) but it's not exactly the metropolis that Seoul is...not by a long shot.


Early-morning view off our deck...you can get a glimpse of the 'high-rises' downtown between the trees.


Another look....but very similar. Yup, this is in 'the big city' according to my Mom!


Even in the middle of town there are vacant lots!

For those of us who have lived in both kinds of populaces--I was born and raised in small towns of under 10,000 before moving to Vancouver (1.5 million) and Seoul (12 million)--I think we can agree that both have their pluses and minuses. Delivery and other services is a big bonus in Seoul that is rarer in Vancouver and almost extinct in smaller towns (at least in Canada). I really, really miss having my gym uniform, towels and toiletries (as well as a locker for my shoes) provided in Seoul (nowhere in Canada have I found that yet). But from our place here we can take a 10 minute walk down to a massive park (not Yeouido Park that is full of people, either, but also without the many ice cream and other sellers that make Seoul a lively place).

Uh-oh, better get back to these kids. Both of them have colds now...joy.