Sunday, November 21, 2004

The long way home.

I left Seoul for good. Surprised? Well, I was a little too. Things had been simmering for quite a while (months, in fact) as we waited for more positive things to come, and some externalities (interest from other firms in my services) helped things along. At the end of the day I don't think I do or will regret my decision but I will always have a bit of remorse for leaving so many good compadres suddenly. I made many friends in Korea and had just started meeting many others...but luckily those ties can continue thanks to the Internet and international flights. I can only guess how brutal it might have been if this were just 10-20 years ago. Snail mail? Forget it. I also hope they will read this and my new blog (of my new 'hometown') so they can keep up with what is going on...and I'll read theirs as well (seems everyone is getting a blog these days).

On Friday I took a walk across Yeouido Park (one last time) to see a bud at Korea Investment Trust. He too couldn't really put together that I was heading out...but he figured it out after a bit. He's one of the few people in Korea (similar to Mr. Jo in my office) who 'gets' what I do. So refreshing.


Yeouido Park in the fall...brown, quiet, but still lovely.




Yeouido Park again...I'll miss this rock. Why? I have no idea.


까치/Gachi bird (a magpie) in the park. I've wanted to get a good shot of one of these for a while...this is as good as it gets.


An incredible find...a bidet in a public washroom! (Well at the Korea Investment Trust building anyways..but still pretty unreal.) Guess this is my last Korean bathroom pic for a while.

On Friday night a few guys from the office and I went out for a 회식/hwei-shik (office party; again, I typed that without Hanguel on the keyboard...getting scary!) of 삼겹살/sam-gyup-sal and then 노래방/no-rae-bang (singing room). They don't officially know the verdict of my leaving but they certainly get the drift. My boss wants to treat it as an extended vacation (which it might be if things change drastically) but they don't really know what to think. They always asked me when I'm coming back...but what can I say? My boss wants things one way and my 'Western' logic tells me to do another thing. Well, a few key people know what is happening...as well as those who are not associated with the industry or are good long-time friends...that's the balance I've struck with myself.

On to funnier things. I've always wondered who the heck came up with this name for a songbook company. Kumyoung? C'mon! I was sure my parental filter wouldn't allow me to look at this site...pretty rich, eh?


Kum Young? What the heck!??!


Wow, it's me singing. (Obviously an action shot of my shakin' and boogiein'.)


Jo singing....he's really good at a few songs and we did a few English ones together.


Yoon crooning--this guy is good! Had no idea. First time hearing him belt one out..


Park barking--another good singer, and what a range: Korean traditional, kid's, Western...good voice.

To move I had to get a few boxes; for that I went to my building's 매정/corner store. This gal and her husband own it--a great couple. She's full of smiles and I got a 10% discount on a lot of stuff...also did the bulk of my shopping there as things were not only cheaper than most places but it was (obviously) closer than any store.


The 매점아줌마/may-jeom a-joom-ma. She was always smiling!

I got so many boxes that I needed a ride to the airport. I had EIGHT big bags/boxes plus a carry-on! 동준/Dong-Joon gave me a ride in his spacious SM5. He lives in Yeouido too and we met from a notice he posted in my building looking for English buds/tutors. Well, we were more friends than anything else--another one I need to keep in touch with. I think it didn't hit him until we parted at the security gate...*sob* (what a wimp, eh?).


Dong-Joon driving me to the airport (with all my bags) in his SM5--thanks, man!

We got there plenty (about 3.5 hours) early so plenty of time to get the luggage checked in. Dong-joon even did the Korean negotiating tactic (say the same thing again and again and wait for the other side to cave) and got one of my bags on for free...the other 5 cost 550,000 won (500USD) to send over, though. Sounds like a lot but (i) the delivery services apparently aren't much better and (ii) I may have to wait weeks or longer to get them, so what the heck. You only move out once, right?

On the second floor (not in security) there is the Panorama Restaurant or something. If you want a cheap meal they have rice and 8 Korean side-dishes (all you can eat) for 3,000 won (2.70USD). We had bing-su, though....mmmmmmm...gooooooood.


Dong-Joon really, really, really like 팥빙수/pat-bing-soo (shaved ice and so much more). (The scary thing is I almost memorized the Hanguel keyboard and did that bit of typing from memory!)

I got to the gate with 2 hours to spare and made a few last calls and snapped a few pics (then made sure I emailed them to myself before I left, as there is no service for this phone outside of Korea). I sacked out on a bench in the deserted waiting area and awoke about 30 minutes from take-off. What a sight...I went from everyone-is-thin Korea to welcome-to-the-buffet Western-anywhere during my snooze. Lard Van Winkle or something. Not that I have a problem with plumper people (I'm one of 'them') but one thing that is striking is the average weight of Asians and Westerners. In Korea I am 'fat', 'overweight' and 'in need of a diet'; in Canada I am 'slim Jim'.

They announced that we should line-up and I was perfectly situated to be first in line. Here was my view. I had plenty of time to shoot this and email it because they had us stand there for about 15 minutes. Hurry up and wait...so Korean.


The long walk...da da da da, da da da, da da da da....(theme from Star Wars whenever Darth Vader shows his mug).

On the plane I slept a bit and watched a movie...Ron Burgundy, Anchorman. Bloody hilarious movie. I usually think these wacky ones are a little overacted but I liked this one. Did I need a pick-me-up? Ya. Here's a hint for flying: when they serve breakfast just refuse is and use that time to continue sleeping. I did that once (not this time) and it was great...the food is usually pretty heavy and gassy (eggs and crap) anyways, so why not just go through customs on fumes and get the last of some much needed shut-eye. I find that flights from Korea usually get in during a lull in the customs lines as it is--usually takes me about 10-20 minutes to get through.

Another Korean fact: hospitals never and even most buildings rarely have a 4th floor as it is pronounced similar to 'death' in Korean (and Chinese and Japanese); so they either omit it (like we might the 13th) or they call it floor 'F' (which, in a love hotel, is quite ironic).


In Korea there sometimes isn't a 4th floor.

More later...pics of kids and all that rot...as well as updates on the next leg of my 'journey'.