Friday, November 26, 2004

A Trip to the Doctor's and Peter's Hilarious Blog!

Please, try to keep from getting too excited. Not much to do here in the way of drinking and such like there is in Seoul. I now know why so many Korean youths who come here end up making their way back to Korea for a little nightlife. Life here is so different (and not only because I'm not working at the moment).

Take my Yeouido schedule, for example: up at 7AM or 8AM, in the office about 30 minutes thereafter (really close); call wife; lunch at noon with Jo and the guys; send/receive about 30 textmessages and emails during the day; work out from 2PM or so for 1.5 hours; head out at 6PM; have dinner with friends then hit the bars or watch TV or whatever until 10PM; read a bit or something then bed at midnight. On the weekends just substitute inline skating, sleeping, shopping or other assorted crap for working.

Here in Canada: kids wake me up with their battery-operated toys (or jumping on me) at about 8AM (after trying unsuccessfully at 5AM, 6AM and 7AM); get them fed; play; work out from 9:30 or something for 1.5 hours (have to do this) then lunchtime and head out somewhere in the afternoon and then dinner and try to settle them for bed. On 4 days Spencer goes to pre-school for a few hours (yay!) but it's a false economy as my wife usually has lists of tasks to fill my time. Blog all night and then sleep at 2AM or so. Sounds, grand, don't it?

On a sidenote, my Mom is now a member of Virtual Tourist (her page is here, mine is here). Way to go Ma!

On to today's 'adventure'...Spencer has a cold so we went to the doctor's. She (Dr. Angela, now a reader of my blog!) has 2 young kids of her own and her husband is a doctor as well (how she does it I have no idea).


Everyone in the car!



Spencer and Winston chillin' in the examination room.

Ya, unlike Korean hospitals where you go right into the doctor's actual office (and I never wait on account of I'm a foreigner), here we waited a bit in the exam room (and arrived 20 minutes late thanks to Kate calling the office and finding them behind, again; we were right on time). Had to entertain the kids (and myself), so...


Keeping the boys happy with glove balloons.


Dr. Angela checks out Spencer.

Got home and drugged up the boys on Tylenol Cold for Infants. They love the taste and Spencer even asks for medicine when he feels sick!


Spencer gets some medicine. He likes it! He likes it!


Winston gets a dose too.

I have to say: thank you, thank you Peter for starting your blog. It was incredibly hilarious today. So much so that I would like all readers to go and take a look. It's right........here.

Here's an excerpt that was especially insightful:
Korean bus drivers, I have a theory about how they are selected. They get to do a minimum 10 years as prison truck drivers, do special training on how to torment the prisoners, pull away full blast, stand on the breaks, like a fighter pilot stencil their victims on the side of the bus. Then, when the victim count reaches the required level they are promoted to Seoul City Bus Drivers. This is a job they tackle with a relish. They must have a speed rating for how fast they can get a passenger standing in the back of the bus to hit the front windscreen and then splatter him all over the rear window and this gets discussed at their meals afterwards over plenty of bottles of Soju (add that to the dictionary) and much mirth. I like to sit in the middle seat at the back facing down the aisle as there’s sufficient legroom for me (every thing in Korea is designed for a 4 foot 6 ajuma size person). Today I moved to the window as the aisle was wet and I had no break traction, did not want one of my bus driver’s stories tonight to be about this tall Westerner who reached the front of the bus on his rear end in 2 milliseconds and you should have seen what a mess his new pants were and he actually tried to impale me on his umbrella, dunno why.
Finally, after all this working out my wife and sis-in-law had the unmitigated gaul to flaunt ice cream in front of me tonight. They know I need to lose weight so I can get into my best suits comfortably and get a good job; but did that stop them? Noooooo. I had some anyways....hehe.


Oh ya...strawberry ice cream with strawberry sauce on top...oh, it's just a coffee, 여보/yeobo (dear)!