Thursday, November 04, 2004

More Pics

Koreans seem to be really into packaging. Things have to look good, you know. I finally went out for pizza again yesterday at Mr. Pizza. Man, that New York Special was good. (Interesting story on Kim Jong-Il and pizza here.) I asked the gal to 포장해주세요/po-jang-hay-joo-say-yo (also said as 싸주세요/ssa-joo-say-yo, both mean 'packing' or put in a doggie bag) and she came back with this: each one wrapped and in a spanking-new bag.


Individually wrapped in foil, then put in a cute little bag...where are the environmentalists?

Also at Wingswing they go the distance in their 싸주세요-ing.


Let's see: wrapped TWICE in foil then put in a box...this is a worse offender.

A while back I saw "The President's Barber" (an odd but funny tale of life in Korea during the Park Chang Hee era) at a DVD방/bang (room) and headed to the men's room...or what I thought was the men's room. When I got in I saw a sink to my left and a door to a stall with this sign (below) on it...hmmm, so what am I supposed to use? The sink? (I used the stall anyways.)


Hmmm...where's my little room?

Not only that, there was a shower nozzle attached to the sink tap as well. Good thing it wasn't diverted to go up there. Yeow!


Perhaps a shower before the show?

Another of Korea's fantastic ice cream bars: the Choco Flake Bar. Its centre is made of a gooey raspberry-like substance...much reminiscent of the taste of a Big Turk.


Another good ice cream bar, the Choco Flake.

And, finally, check out what they have in the lobby of my officebuilding. I took this pic when the guard was nowhere to be seen...all the keys for the offices were out (as they are each night). Good thing we have an electronic lock on our door too. Korean mail is similar. Parcels are left in the lobby of buildings and apartments (sometimes without a closed door, even) and mailboxes are usually quite porous. Is there no crime here?


You can see the high security of my building.

Hope these pics make up for all the writing I've been doing the last few days.