Thursday, January 06, 2005

The End of All-Kid Days

Looks like I'll be busier next week. A friend of mine at Union Securities has convinced me to try a stint there and the official approval from the CEO (who was in Hawaii SCUBA diving, and not Phuket, thankfully) has come down. Now all I need is an office and (laptop) computer. Oh ya, and I need to get licensed for the work too--that would be a good idea. Luckily I have 10 years in the business and about 5 years in this kind of job specifically (advanced financial planning) so this position should not be a tall order. In fact, it's like my old job I had before I went to Korea to do more investment banking/institutional stuff. The big difference is that instead of getting all the clients myself I have 50 or so brokers who would be referring clients to me. I like that. Then I can spend more of my time actually doing work instead of marketing and such. As well, the firm picks up all the nickel-and-dime fees that as an independent (which I was before) I had to cover myself--they take a bigger cut of the commission, but I figure the referral thing has to out-weigh that.

So, here's my plan. I'll take as early a train as I can into work (they start at 6AM at the office, according to Toronto's stockmarket hours) and then take it easy from 1PM or 2PM and take the first train home (maybe at 4PM). I much rather going to bed early (been hitting the hay at about 9PM lately) and being early to rise (about 4AM these days). As well, if the kids get sick again then my wife can care for them late at night and hand them off to me in the morning.

We'll see how this goes for 3 or 6 months and if it continues to look good then I'll make up my mind to stay here longer. In the meantime, though--before big bucks roll in--I think my mind will be somewhat on Korea and/or working elsewhere. It's so tough to beat the traveling/working abroad bug once you've gone elsewhere, you know. It's so comfortable here, maybe too comfortable. But, Vancouver is a kick-ass place to live and it's great for the kids and we can go to Korea 1-2 times a year for visiting and shopping, so maybe I can have the best of both worlds. Hmmmmmm.

Also, it will be nice to get back to doing something other than kiddie stuff, which I love doing, but a man needs to work, too. I can read or whatever (got a laptop!) for 30 minutes each way on the train and be a little more productive. I've been back for about 8 weeks and now I know why people go back to work or keep busy after they retire...have to keep in motion!

On that note, I better get moving.