Saturday, April 16, 2005

Rolling, rolling, rolling...

Friday morning I felt pretty tired. Been a long week. I've been researching many areas of estate, tax and insurance planning and making my little 1-pagers for the brokers as well as stopping by their office on an (almost) daily basis to give them a heads-up on whatever I am up to. Did the same that morning...a little piece on the difference between "in trust for" investment accounts and investment accounts set up for a formal trust--there are some very BIG disadvantages to "in trust for" accounts. Anyhoo, as I stopped in on one broker his partner said he needed a life insurance quote...ok, so I got on that when I got back to my desk. Then an older broker said he had a couple of $1 mil clients coming in who needed some estate advice...so I met with them too. Things got busy in a hurry, which is good. I really don't mind working a lot on these kinds of things--it's when you're twiddling your thumbs that things get depressing. Well, a few of the othe brokers are studying up on my planning areas and scouring their 'books' (client base) for prospect for me--one is even sending out an email to his 1,000 clients and prospects on my stuff--that is cool.

Today it's nice to have a day off--but it's raining. No idea what we'll do, but got to sleep in until 6AM, so that was nice.

Oh ya, a Korean guy took me out for lunch on Thursday. We had kamja-tang at a great little Korean restaurant downtown: Jang Mo Jib. Mmmmmm....it was just like the kamja-tang I had in Hongdae (maybe better). I also met some Koreans at lunch on Friday. I was out with Minaz (Google my page to see pics of him when he visited me in Seoul) at a food fair and the people with the take-out place were Korean. At first I thought they were Chinese or something, but then I asked if there was kimchi for the european weiners they were selling (the pricing made me think of Myoungdong, too: $5 for a big dog, chips and fresh fruit shake) and they said they had it in the back. I asked (in Korean) if they were Korean then the lady asked if my wife went to Ewha Women's University (in Seoul)....um, ya, how did you know?...she had read my wife's article in the paper about our wedding in Korea--from over 5 years ago! Man, some people have the weirdest memories. I think every Korean in Vancouver read that thing and remembers it.

Well, I better get at some work. Just did a couple of articles on beneficiary designation and alter-ego trusts...next is stuff on charitable giving. Later.