Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Big Meeting...Yahoo!

Well, now that I can actually do work, today is my ‘coming out party’. No, not coming out of the closet…coming out as the insurance guy in the office. C’mon! Anyhoo, today I’m doing a presentation on trusts (not income trusts, I mean the trusts that people set up to put assets into so they can take care of their kids and such). My bud of about 10 years, Rick, will also be there to answer questions. He’s an/my estate lawyer and all he does is set up this stuff for people (both trusts and wills) and I got him in the office last week and introduced him to a few of the guys so everyone is already pretty comfortable with each other.

I hope the thing goes well. Our manager, Steve, said to make it short and sweet. Well, I can do the short part, but the sweet I have little control over. Basically, I’ll just introduce the concerns that people have, the 5 kinds of trusts (they are all pretty basic) and then a quick example. The real test (and my intended result) will be when the brokers bring us their client situations (as they already have in some cases) and we start to get into specifics. I have a few handouts as well, both from my head and Rick’s law firm, and a brochure on our (non-Securities) area of the firm. That should about do it.

Had a brutal sleep last night for some reason. Crazy dreams. No idea why. Spencer also puked on the bedroom floor (he has the flu or something) so that took about an hour to clean up (not that I did it, but I took care of the kids as Kate and her Mom did). As usual, I had to fight to get Kate to allow me to put vinegar on the carpet to kill the smell. She always wants to use some perfume or something, but I think there is something in the vinegar that destroys the odor—sure it smells a bit at first, but after it dries it’s pretty darn good. Thing is, in this house we have rice vinegar, so the smell is a bit different…at least it works, though.

Ok, I have a breakfast to go to on IPPs (Individual Pension Plans) and then my meeting…gotta go.