Monday, June 28, 2004

Back in Seoul....Back in Smog

It feels like I didn't even leave this place, which is a little scary. Things will be a little weird for a bit (as I take about a week to get over jetlag, unlike some people I know who take about 2 days) so postings may be a little sporatic for a bit. As well, work is getting busier...which is fine my me.

It's kind of interesting, actually. At this job we always have something to do (I do the weekly newsletter, research, presentations to clients, and liaise with our foreign partners) but there are definate lulls and busy times. Just before my vacation was a lull, now we're back in the thick of things.

Speaking of thick, take a look at this pic. Many days here are like this (although, admittedly, not this brutal). Some are blue-skied, but even then you know that the pollution is there. I left my windows upon when I went home and when I came back there was a thin layer of soot on the floor...hmmmm, that seems real nice, eh? Now I know why my mother-in-law always cleaned the floor every day or so. Apparently Seoul has DOUBLE the amount of particles (I'm assuming 'bad' particles) in its air. Anyone who jogs here is nuts (but I, of course, do inline/rollerblade almost everyday, so I'm no better).


Lovely Seoul smog.

One problem is the number of cars here, another is the level of industrialization and lack of environmental laws (or enforcement thereof) but there is also the polution that comes over from China (where things, from what I hear, are a lot worse) and the Yellow Wind/Dust that makes its way to our shores once or twice a year. I was in one of these storms a few years ago (I was the only gomer without a surgical mask on) and I felt pretty weird afterward. If you have a respiratory problem things could get ugly.