Saturday, August 21, 2004

My 26th flight across the Pacific

I know that sounds like a lot of flying (at 10 hours a pop it means about 11 days in the air) but it's been racked up over the last 14 years, so maybe not that big of a deal. However, I'm still on track for 5 return trips every 12 months for the last while (which is, itself, a little scary).

I had to take Air Canada with the ticketing snafu, and took these pics in the airport in Seoul. On the first one: you'd think the airline (our two official languages are English and French, in that order-thank you very much) would produce a sign with 100% correct English in it...but, alas, no. The second one, from the mirror in the men's loo, is pretty funny. I'm sure we'll see it on a Korean or Japanese T-shirt soon.


"All passengers are reguested"....man, maybe I'm too picky.


"When getting hands near flushing hold, flushing operates"...um, ya....ok.

Well, it's a good thing I wasn't hoping to (as I sometimes do) get my shopping done at the onboard duty free; because it was closed due to the ongoing strike by Cara Operations. This reminds me of Korea, where strikes are quite common and involve marches, sit-ins and very adversarial negotiations. Hmmm...maybe Canada and Korea are more similar than I thought.

One more thing from the flight...and it finally happened after 26 trips: they lost one of my bags. I felt as if I had entered the 'real traveler' club. The good thing is I got it delivered to my door about 24 hours later. The card they gave me said that 95% of bags are delivered within 24 hours. I think that's not a bad stat, considering the number of planes in the air. I wasn't too inconvenienced but it really goes to show that if you have something that HAS to get there with you you'd better carry it on...you never know.

Been sleeping when I can in the day and staying up at night. I've decided not to bother getting over jet lag (although being here 7 days I might just do that) as I have to get back to work pretty much as soon as I get back. My trips are always to short...a week here, 10 days there...so I get pretty screwed up with the time change. Don't even bother trying to figure out what time it is anymore. (My post is at local time in Canada.)

Ok, time to watch some late-night TV.