Friday, October 22, 2004

Interesting Signs and Yusheng's First Night

Yesterday I played a little hooky from work. Well, I had a meeting downtown, how is that?, but it gave me a chance to see downtown Seoul in daylight on a weekday--something I haven't done for a while. I spotted these two marques that I've seen before, but finally got a pic of.


Sometimes a Subway is not a Subway. Can you say copyright infringement?


The only Starbucks I've ever seen that has the sign in Hanguel.

Last night, I noted in the audiopost, Yusheng came town. I was pretty happy to see a familiar face again; it's been a couple of weeks since Minaz left. Actually, he's not that familiar, I haven't seen the guy for about 4 years. We met while working on one of them dot.bomb companies (it's actually still in business, though!) and now his occupation is "architectual photographer" or some such cover. (His site has TONS of building photos.) He said I look younger (the second person to say that this week) and that he looks fatter--which he does not. He got a good deal on his hotel room (thanks to me) but it doesn't have a closet in it for all of his 제비옷/jay-bi-ot (playboy clothes). Oh well...what do you expect from a 'love hotel'...hehe.

Of course we went to The Outsider bar, but first we hooked up with Terri Kim, a VTer from Philadelphia who was in town this week. This was my first time meeting her, but she is a regular reader of the ol' blog (which I'm sure you are as well). It was kinda funny...I was talking about the Buitoni (pasta) restaurant on the first floor of the building where I got service from the owner (who I met a couple of weeks ago) and she said, "Oh ya, I rememeber that." Huh? Oh ya, I put it in the blog. Imagine how the stars feel when the Enquirer writes about them (not as if this is even close to that, I'm not some pure meglomaniac)...at least I have some control over the lies in this thing.


Yusheng trying not to crack a smile. Kinda looks like a thug, don't he?


Terri Kim, VT member and Korean-American (single too!).


Here's another, better, pic of Terri. Time for me to get a real good camera phone.

The owner joined us for a drink...well, more than a drink...he bought a bottle of Jack Daniel's and food for us--all service. What a guy. His wife and kids are in San Francisco so him and I share a similar fate here in Seoul. Yusheng made mention that he liked the looks of one of the gals and I told this to the owner...next thing I know he's setting it up for her to join us tonight for the VT meeting. Interesting place, this Korea, where bosses can 'invade' workers' personal lives (although she didn't put up a fight...I think she likes the look of this Yusheng character).

This morning I got up at 8:30 and hit the gym...finally. My lazy ass hasn't been in there since Tuesday on account of I've had too many nights out lately. It felt good...but now it's time for a nap. Good thing Yusheng hasn't slept for 2 days, maybe I can get some shut-eye before he starts moving around.