Saturday, October 16, 2004

The Koreans Rocked Seoul

As I said yesterday, I was thinking of going to see these guys on the weekend, and I did. They were playing at Daehang-ro Live Theatre; a small venue, but it was very cool. Well, not cool in temp...someone turned off the a/c just before the band got on stage. (They have a Korean site, a U.K./English one and a message board, too!)


Cover of the program...little shiny.


Yahoo! They all signed it! (Even Christ, the drummer.)


The Koreans doing their thing.


Oliver is Mr. Tambourine man.


Henry (a real crowd-pleaser, but not in any of the promo pics) whips the audience into a frenzy!


The camera-shy bassist, Robert, finally in a pic.


Check it out: one in CK jean skirt, the other in CK jeans; both in wide-striped shirts. Also saw 2 other gals on the bus with the same look (wish now that I had snapped their photo, too).

The songs were cool...not bad for their own stuff. Manchester Mike would have liked them. (His Dad saw the Rolling Stones in a tiny concert when they were just starting out.) They did their set and then a Korean singer (whose voice reminded me of Alanis Morissette) did 3 songs. Then an actor (김경룡/Kim Kyoung Ryong) got up on stage and talked about himself (he was in Bunshinsaba and other Korean movies) and then he asked if people wanted to come up on stage and dance with the band. (All this was in Korean, mind you.) One Korean guy got up there and then no one else braved volunteering. Then the guy (Mr. Kim) set his sights on me (in the 3rd row, damn!) and said, "Hey, what about this 외국인아저씨?" Oh ya, that's me, the middle-aged foreigner. Ok, what the heck. A girl also raised her hand.

Then Mr. Kim asks me (in English now, this was the only English he spoke): "Where are you from?" But the accent was so brutal I had no idea what he said...and replied, "James."

"Hahaha, I didn't even ask the foreigner his name?!" "Oh ok, Cay-na-da" (Koreans pronounce Canada that way and write it like 캐나다.)

Then he asked if I spoke Korean well. I answered with my well-rehearsed, "아니요/ah-ni-yo (no)." Then everyone let out a gasp (really quite comical, actually).

Next he enquired "Oh so you are good at 'listening' to Korean?" (He actually said listening, which was a dead giveaway for me to figure out the whole sentence.) I answered, "예/ye (polite yes)." And then some blah blah blah and I kind grabbed the mic and said, "가자kaja! (let's go!)" and off we went. Some music started and we three were to dance on the stage for fame and glory. Great. Let me just say that I dance a lot better after you've had a few drinks.


There I am using my perfect 'listening' Korean to dazzle the crowd.


There I am dancing...and now you know why I was shy to get up there.


More shaking of the Great White Whale.

Anyways, I got 3rd prize: a shirt (below). I really like it...it's black so it's slimming on my already slim body (ya, right...).


My free shirt!

Now all I have to do to make it a perfect night is for The Koreans to make it big and I can sell this program on Ebay!