Monday, October 25, 2004

Neat Looking Blades

Well, they're not really rollerblades/inline skates, but they seem to handle the problem of how to get into a no-skate place/building with a little style. I can't see myself attaching a line of skates to special shoes (one brand is Hypnoskates), and those Heely things just have one wheel in the (you guessed it) heel. I found these while checking out some info for my boss. (Little does he know that much of what I do is googling...oh crap, I think he reads this blog too.)


The Instrek....what do you think?

Well, for 157,000 won (136USD) they better be good...not sure if I can justify buying a pair. My old blades are Nikes that I got here 2 years ago and apparently the aluminum rails are a lot better than plastic (especially, as it was so eloquently said to me, for a larger guy like me) but I can probably get a wicked pair for 157 grand...at least I know what I'm buying then. Maybe the guys at Instrek will see that I am a market maven and trend-setter and comp me a pair...I wonder. I wonder what wheels to get as replacements too...and would I still end up buying 'serious' blades for my cross-country treks? I've been inlining for like 8 years: are these a little too pedestrian for a guy like me who has a need for speed on the sidewalks of Seoul?

Looks like there is a little competition, too. Streetflyers (official site here) seem to think that 2 wheels are better than one (Heely) but are these 3-wheeled Instreks better? There's some cool movies on the site of 3 kids booting around Seoul (including Olympic Park Plaza....ah, those were the days when I lived near there). Minaz and my Dutch buds might want to click on the "Passion" vid where our favorite song is: I got what you need so tell me what you need...

If anyone has tried these things please let me know. I'd like a wing tip version if possible for my commute.