Friday, November 05, 2004

Lunchtime Near Namdaemoon

On Friday I had lunch near 남대문시장/Namdaemoon (Shi-jang)Market. I've been there so many times but there is always something new: such as a guy selling veggie-cutting machines. Well, it's not really a machine...it's human powered and probably costs 20x the production cost here.


A little road-side chopping.

Next there was this guy selling polish. The stuff could take the red off a tomato, if you believed what he was saying. He had long sleeves on, probably because his forearms are like Popeye's...all the rubbing everyday has to have an effect on your physique.


Watch me polish everything in site (except my microphone).

Then I saw my shirt connection. Went a little crazy today, 6 shirts (negotiated down to 35,000 won, about 33USD, but he gave me another 1,000 won off for no reason) and 2 ties (5,000 won for the both of them). The ties I like: conservative, simple but with a bit of style. The shirts were touch and go. 2 are plain white ones and upon further examination (at home) I found them to be real cheap-like; 2 were poly-suede things and I really like them (should be good for the cold weather coming);another actually had a Tip Top Tailors (Canadian menswear chain) $45 tag on it and the last one had a mandarin/banded collar (I had to wash it, but it's not bad at all for about $5.50).



After lunch there was a group giving out food samples near the escalator. This is one thing I really like about Korea: service and samples. They're really into the promotion thing here. There ones were of dried persimmon...got to give them to the father-in-law, he loves these things.



Oh ya, before lunch the drivers for the big-wigs in the building dutifully lined up the execs' cars for a speedy getaway. Nice. High end Korean cars, Audis, BMWs...must be a good building.


They're in the starting blocks.

Ok, time to log off for a bit...later.