Tuesday, January 11, 2005

In Pretty Darn Early This Morning.

Ah, to be in downtown Vancouver at 6:30AM. It's briskly cold this morning but I was up at 4AM again (why do I keep doing this?) and I was a little bored at 5:30 so I got dressed and walked the 40 mins it takes to get down to the train. Actually it takes longer to walk, but I ran a bit to keep to schedule (train runs on the 10s and 40s of the hour...boy, do I miss Seoul's subways!). Just made the thing and managed to sweat in my seat for the first 10 minutes of the ride (ya, I sweat a bit). Called my wife when I got here...she thought I was crazy but I'd rather get some exercise than wake her up to drive me to the rails (what a sweetheart, eh?).

Just got in and on a PC-loaner at work as I await my super-duper laptop. Met a few of the guys. Union Securities is a local shop (Vancouver is the head office...nice, no jerks in Toronto to cow-tow to...sorry Torontonians) and many of the guys do VSE (read: penny-stock) trading, but I hear they are doing more 'investment grade' stuff as well. Just as well, because then their clients may not have seen what I will show them (much of my area is insurance, but there is a definite investment bent to some of it) and then I can be seen as the 'safe money guy'--which is fine by me.

All in all, yesterday (my first day) was a bit of a wash...but managed to get a list of 10 things to do before I can really put the tires to the pavement here (and start making the big money) and knocked off 2 of them already. So not too bad a start. Many of the roadblocks I had in my head are dissipating, so we'll see how things go these next few weeks and months and go from there.

So, if things go well I'll have to plan a trip to Seoul in the next while: either Spring or Fall. Would love to head back there and see my buds again. Of course if my in-laws (who can't seem to stay retired) have an inkling to start some business and need me to pinch-hit for them (I'm the only one fluent in English in the family) it may be more for-sure than dream to get back there for a couple of weeks. I just have to keep from staying there 2 years from a 3 week trip as I did last time.