Friday, March 18, 2005

Ug.

Last night was cool. SFU and UBC have a little bit of a rivalry going: in football, basketball and finance. I stayed late in town and went to the SFU-UBC Portfolio Challenge Wrap Party. There were a few other alum there as well, but mostly SFU/UBC students--many of whom, par for the course in investment classes these days and in my day, were Asians (mostly Chinese). Most were in suits and a few were standouts...an enterprising young crop of grads-to-be.

Well, I have to say that UBC won the challenge, their top team made 67% in 6 months while SFU's top guys made just 37%. It reminds me of when we did this in my time. Our team loaded up on a VSE pennystock and it happened to pop up in the final weeks of the game and we won the national prize (as well as 10 Samsonite briefcases!). A financial writer actually wanted to interview us and ask how we made the money but when we explained our 'shit-house luck' he was less interested. Well, these teams had a more pragmatic approach, but some of the teams made a ton of their dough in Google and other options (the VSE of today).

Anyhoo, a die-hard group of us were there until about 11PM. Man, that was tough. To make matters worse, I forgot to have dinner and subsisted on hors d'oeuvres and lagers. Yes lagers. It's been a while since I've had more than 2 beer...like since Korea.

Hence the "ug".