Tuesday, August 24, 2004

R.E.M., Narcolepsy and Keepin' it Hot

I think I'm addicted to the constant stimulation of Seoul. Not that being here is bad at all...it's very relaxing...maybe too relaxing. Basically, I get 8 hours of sleep (3AM-11AM) and then need a couple of hours during the day too. Now, I've been busy trying to keep up with these 2 kids and it is a different routine from what I'm used to in Yeouido, but there is one other big difference: I dream here everytime I go to sleep and rarely do so in Seoul. Ya, even a 10 minute nap gets me some R.E.M.s. It's kinda interesting that this happens so much here...does it mean that I needed that sleep?

So, about all this napping during the day, does that mean I'm narcoleptic? The same thing used to happen when I went back to my parents' place out in the country after I'd been in the 'big city' of Vancouver for a couple of years. Whenever I went home things were so quiet it was all I could do to stay awake sometimes. Don't get me wrong, I love seeing my parents, but when you're out in the boonies and they're feeding you steak (mmmm...steak) it makes for a recipe to snooze. If I went there now from Seoul would I slip into a coma?

I'm thinking that my body may be just taking a rest when it can. A couple of days before coming home I had like 3 hours sleep then did a full day's work and stayed up til 11 again--and I'll be pretty busy as soon as I get back, too, so maybe that makes a whole lotta sense.

Ok, on to food. I'm missing the hot 'n' spicy fare that I get on a daily basis in Yeouido and I want to keep my tolerance up so I'm downing a lot of Hot salsa sauce. You know, it used to be too spicy for me, now it's like ketchup. I think my tastebuds are turning Korean. Also trying to get my fill of grapes and watermelon while I'm here on account of they are really pricey in Seoul (like $10-$15 for a small/medium melon).